Philip Joseph Branson, M.D.
I am privileged to work with highly trained staff and cutting-edge technology in a community that considers me a doctor rather than a “provider.” It is an honor to work at the first total joint center in West Virginia to receive national recognition as a Center of Excellence.
It is gratifying to receive pictures of patients riding horses or Harleys with kind words of appreciation for getting back to the things they like to do. The wonderful and personal feedback is a daily reminder that I work in a small community that appreciates my work.
My wife Cynthia has put up with my long hours, and me for over 34 years. Our children attended public schools and have gone on to careers in medicine and dentistry. We now enjoy our piece of the country with our dogs, garden and guinea hens.
- Board Certified American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, July 1989
- Fellow American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Associate Clinical Professor, Orthopaedics, Bowman Gray School of Medicine.
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery & Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
- West Virginia Medical Institute Physician Reviewer
- President, Luma Corporation, Desktopmedical
Northwestern University Medical School – Chicago, Illinois
Northwestern University Honors Program Medical Education – Chicago, Illinois
Northwestern University – Chicago, Illinois
Instructional Course Lecture, Course Director, Advanced Computer
Technology, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, February 1993.
Instructor, Arthroscopic Motor Skills Course, H. Sweeny Course Chairman
Instructor, Arthroscopic Shoulder, Knee, Elbow, J. Tasto Course Chairman
Anatomic Dissections, Masters in Arthroscopy CD ROM series, Rotator Cuff, Mosby, 1999
IVY Electronic Medical Record system for Orthopaedics, 1987:
- Comprehensive DOS based electronic record system for orthopaedics,
- System architect, design and programming; A comprehensive text based
- system for managing patient visits, labs and reports.
- Zipnotes: 3rd generation Assisted Document Creation system, requirement
- analysis and project management
- Zipchart: 3rd generation document based electronic medical record
Rigidity of Initial Fixation of Tibial Implants in Total Knee Arthroplasty: Transactions Orthopaedic Research Society, 1987, Volume12
Advanced Computer Technology – Instructional Course Lectures,
AAOS, 1994, Volume 43, Chapter 62
Computer electronic imaging applied to surgical endoscopy
Electronic medical documentation and records, systematization, normalization, and a workflow analysis.
Rotator Cuff anatomy and endoscopic repair techniques.
Managing Information in an Endoscopy System, April 21, 1998; US Patent #5,740,801, Foreign counterparts in EU and AU.
- Chief of Surgery, Princeton Community Hospital, 1994, 1995
- Associate Chief of Surgery, Princeton Community Hospital, 1993
- Mercer County Medical Society: President 1990-1991
- Vice President / Program Chairman 1989-1990
- WV State Medical Association, Delegate
- WVSMA Legislative Committee Chairman
- WV Governor’s Task Force on Medical Care
- WV Task Force on Workers’ Compensation
- WV Task Force on Medical Malpractice, Chairman
- WV Board of Medicine – Orthopaedic Physician Consultant
- Team Physician – Appalachian League Farm Baseball Teams 1988-1995
- Team Physician – Princeton High School Football and senior sports teams